History of Burland Ranchettes & the Burland Homeowners Association


Burland Ranchettes is located on the old Fitzsimmons Ranch of about 4,200 acres. The original ranch house still stands on Pinion Road. Chester Howard purchased the ranch from Perry P. Fitzsimmons and then sold it to Fred Burke, Walter Burke and Gil Weakland. The new owners combinined parts of their last names and developed it as Burland Ranchettes.


Walter Burke and Gil Weakland built two of the original houses, one at old U.S. 285 and Park County Road 72 and the other at Deer Trail and Park County Road 72. A school house at Burland Drive and Aspen Lane burned down in 1921. The three lakes on Deer Creek were created by Charles Nickerson and Egbert Johnson in 1883 who used them to raise trout for the commercial market.


The Burland Civic Association was organized in 1974 to help maintain property values and encourage compliance with covenants and zoning regulations. In 2004 the name was changed to the Burland Homeowners Association.